Your browser does not support iframes.
The park is bounded by Roberts Avenue, Crossett Street and Onondaga Avenue.
Clear All Date: Single Day Range Date: End Date: Categories: Search Find What Directions Hide zoom control
HISTORICAL INFORMATION:In about 1900, Syracuse acquired 80 acres of property formerly used as a city reservoir. The larger part, lying west of Onondaga Avenue is called Upper Onondaga Park. The reservoir, with rip-rapped stone sides, and adjoining oak and hickory grove were used for swimming and picnicking with little change for a few years. John McCarthy, a funeral director, had built at his own expense two wooden piers 50 yards apart with a bathhouse at each pier, also a wooden building for the guards and attendants. The reservoir was soon transformed into a lake and lagoon containing over 15 acres of great scenic beauty. The lake also affords facilities for swimming, and an annual fish derby for younger folk. A bandstand on an island near the edge of the lake is the scene of many enjoyable concerts. There is also a lovely grove used for picnics.