TO BECOME A LIFEGUARD YOU MUST:
A. Turn 15 years of age by the last day of class
B. Pre-register for a pre-requisite swim test ( 473-4330 Ext. 3005)
- Tuesday, March 26th at 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 28th at 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, March 29that 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 2nd at 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 3rd at 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 4th at 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, April 7th at 3:30 p.m.
C. Pass a pre-requisite swim test
1. Swim 300 yards (12 lengths of a 25 yard pool) using front crawl and breaststroke with breathing and;
2. Swim 20 yards, submerge to 12 ft. depth to recover a 10 lb. brick and return swim 20 yds and;
3. Swim 15 yards underwater
4. Tread for 2 minutes using only legs
D. Sign up for the Lifeguard Class - Certification lasts 2 years...DOES NOT include waterfront module.
1. April & May – Saturdays & Sundays - 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. April 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 & 28. May 4, 11 & 18. All dates required. - Click here to complete and print a registration form
2. Make a check payable to COMMISIONER OF FINANCE
i. City Residents - $25.00
ii. Non-City Residents - $75.00
3. Registration forms will be accepted after completion of the pre-requisite test either on deck or mail or hand deliver your registration form and payment to: Syracuse Parks & Recreation, 412 Spencer Street, Syracuse, NY 13204 Attn: Lifeguard Registration. Space in the class is NOT reserved until the completed registration form and fee is received.
4. ON THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS all participants must bring a separate check for $70.00 made payable to COMMISIONER OF FINANCE with Red Cross on the memo line.
If after you complete a Lifeguard Class and you want to work for a City Pool,
you must complete E and F too.
E. Sign up for a Lifeguard Evaluation - (approx. 2-3 hours depending on the # of participants) - This must be done annually to work for City Pools.
1. Complete an evaluation registration form -
2. Mail or hand deliver your evaluation registration to: Syracuse Parks & Recreation, 412 Spencer Street, Syracuse, NY 13204 Attn: Lifeguard Evaluation Registration.
3. Registrations are accepted on a first come, first serve basis. There is a limit of 20 candidates per test.
F. Pending the completion of all the necessary requirements a Lifeguard Employment Agreement will be mailed to you approximately the first week in June.
1. The agreement will cover the training requirements, rate of pay, proposed dates of employment, employment site and site conditions. You will be responsible for signing and returning the agreement to: Syracuse Parks & Recreation, 412 Spencer Street, Syracuse, NY 13204 Attn: Lifeguard Employment Agreement.