Increase text size Regular text size Decrease text size

  • Applying for a Permit
    The information presented here is only a guide.
    Please contact the Code Enforcement staff in the Central Permit Office to determine what’s required for your project.
    What to bring
    Construction drawings require an architect or engineer's stamp unless the alterations to any building or structure:
      cost twenty thousand dollars or less, and
      do not involve changes affecting the structural safety or public safety thereof.
      Click below to see how many sets of plans must be submitted for your project and property:
      Single Family or Two-Family Houses (No Commercial Use)
      Commercial Properties and Residential Properties with 3 or More Units
      Plan sets must include:
      complete a survey and detailed 'site plan' showing elevations (contours if requested)
      proposed building location
      adjacent structures
      water service
      sewer and storm drainage disposal

    Building code analysis/code review for your specified occupancy

      Structural plans must have:
      complete foundation details
      elevation views
      section views
      framing details
    Supporting materials may include items such as: soil reports, structural calculations, energy calculations or statement, drainage calculations, etc.
    Contact the Code Enforcement Permit Desk at (315) 448-8600 for specific information required for your project.
    Over the Counter Permits

    For smaller projects, both commercial and residential, it may be possible to obtain approval "over the counter," if plans can be reviewed in under 20 minutes by a Code Enforcement Plans Examiner, and no other agency outside of the Permit Desk needs to review the project.

    Simple renovations may include drywall removal and replacement, modifications to existing layout of interior walls, minor repairs to steps, storefronts, decks, pools and garages.
    How to Pay

    All applications that cannot be reviewed over the counter and are left for review shall have plan review fees paid at the time of application. All other fees will be paid at time of issuance. Payment is by check or money order. Credit cards, debit cards and cash are NOT accepted.

    Central Permit Office
    City Hall Commons, Room 101
    201 East Washington Street
    Syracuse, NY 13202

    Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
    Free parking for up to 2 hours is available for customers using the Central Permit Office.

    Please allow at least 15 to 30 minutes for all permit applications.

    Note: The Code Enforcement Office is authorized to:

    1) Require that the applicant meet to discuss plans for the proposed work or change of occupancy prior to the issuance of a permit in order to establish the specific applicability of the provisions of the New York State Building Code and/or local codes.

    Exception: One- and two-family dwellings that are not undergoing extensive alteration or a change of occupancy.

    2) Require an existing building to be investigated and evaluated by a registered design professional based on the circumstances agreed upon at the preliminary meeting to determine the existence of any potential non-conformances with the provisions of the New York State Building Code.
    If you have questions or comments, contact us at:
  Sitemap | Contacts | Feedback |

© 2009 City of Syracuse
| Disclaimer | Privacy
City Hall: 233 East Washington Street
Syracuse, NY 13202
(315) 448-8005